Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Solving Other People's Problems

The person I am writing about reads this blog, but I am going to write this anyway. My blog. Need to get it out.

Have you ever realized you care about some one's life more than they do? I bet you have. I have someone in my life whose lifestyle is starting to affect their health. Something needs to change. And they say they want to change. And they have a million reasons why it is hard. And why they couldn't do it today. Or yesterday. But they still complain about the problem and how it needs to change. So, you try to show them the things that are really obvious to you (because it is always easier to look at someone else's flaws than your own). But they just have excuses about why that can't change. Or why it is really hard to change. They'll try. But it doesn't happen. I am there. And I give up. The first baby step change was going to happen yesterday. But something got in the way. There was no way it could have been avoided, I am sure I will be told. I feel so invested in this, I am frustrated. And sort of mad. But, I have to give up. She'll change or she won't. I can't walk her through it.

I did stop myself the other day from doing this with a different person. She was telling me about a health issues she had and I realized (because I am such a health care genius) that it was directly related to a habit she has. And now she is taking medicine to help with the symptoms, but the meds are going to give her other problems. I explained this to her, but I realized quickly she wouldn't change it. So, I let it go. I was so proud of me. I could have harped on her about her health and blah, blah, blah, but I knew I cared more about her health than she did. I let it go. That is a step for me.

I am not talking about people making choices you just don't agree with. I am talking about when people admit there is a problem they need to change but they just are never going to make the needed change.

This has been a lesson for my own life. I was this way about my weight. Complain, complain about how I needed to make changes, but always some excuse about why it wasn't happening. The pregnancy has been a break from that, because, #1, you can't diet in pregnancy, #2, I have only gained four pounds this pregnancy, and #3 I have been very healthy (except all that barfing and exhaustion!). But I know once I recover from this I need to do something. And it isn't going to include excuses and complaining. I am either doing it, or I am not. And if I don't care enough about my health to do it, I am not complaining about it. Watch me.

No comments: