Have you ever noticed how our animal count changes frequently? Yeah, I have noticed that.
Woke up yesterday to no Lenny. I guess it was time for him to move on. No one else seems concerned. I am a little bummed--I liked the dumb dog.
Alec and I hit the road early to go to an animal swap meet. It took us almost an hour to get there, only to find out they decided to stop having them. It was advertised in the goat newsletter I just found. Needless to say. I was annoyed.
One the way home, however, we found a store that was also advertised in the newsletter. It was a smaller version of Weaver's (for you Eau Clair-ites). What is the deal with the Mennonites and bulk foods?? Anyway, the neat thing is they sell raw milk! I think South Carolina and California are the only two states you can buy raw milk in a store. In California, though, I have heard it can cost $15 a gallon!! Here is was about a buck more than regular milk. So, the trip was not a total loss.
We got home and checked in on the other persons who live here. They were working on the finishing touches of the chicken coop. Then, Alec, Adam and I went almost an hour in the other direction to look at the $30 goat bucklings that were on craigslist. Bought two boar (those are the meat goats) and a white mutt one (ONLY because Adam really liked him and he was $30). Left the kids and "kids" in the van while I ran into Tractor Supply to buy collars and home we went.
Dan and I chose a place to put up a pen for them amongst the brush. Goats, in case you are interested, are browsers (as opposed to grazers like cows and sheep). Browsers like to eat stuff like brush with their heads up and grazers like to eat stuff like grass with their heads down.
They got posts in the ground and Alec and I bought fencing, but the sun didn't cooperate and we didn't quite get the pen done. We tethered the dogs to trees for the night and stuck the bucklings in the dog pen to keep them safe from predators. I think we might have Brody sleep in their pen at night and stick Beulah over buy the chickens at night.
I also planted my rhubarb and onion yesterday. I was so tired last night. And the healthiest thing I ate all day was chocolate covered almonds.
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment