Saturday, February 14, 2009

Our Auction Experience

We found the auction in Seneca last night. WOW, was that an experience. We arrive on time, but they had already started and there wasn't seating room. So, we stood in the back. It was inside a barn type building. Probably half the people were smoking. I don't get my panties in a bunch about smoking like many folks, but this was really something! There was a sign up that said no smoking in the barn--a formality, I guess, because even the auctioneer was smoking.

The junk that was being auctioned was amazing. It was mostly stuff you'd find in the "free" box at a garage sale. We stood for an hour and took it all in--most of the people were hillbilly types (which is a step beyond your basic redneck--rednecks are hillbilly's high-falutin' cousins). You know me, I kind of like weird people, so I didn't mind at all--they were fun to watch. After an hour, however, Dan heard someone say the animals wouldn't be auctioned until about 9:30!! He heard this at 7:30! There was no way we could stand for two more hours, so we took off. It sure was interesting and I am glad we experienced it, but I doubt we would go again. The only animals I saw were poultry and one rabbit. I wanted to see donkeys and peacocks and weird stuff.

The funniest part was when a guy sanding by us realized he had just bought a box of junk without realizing it. He had waved to someone who had just walked in!! Just like you see on TV sitcoms. Who would think that could actually happen? He actually had all his own teeth, so was probably his first time, too.

No comments: