Thursday, December 31, 2009

Last Day of the Decade

Told Dan I would post on here so he would know what we did today. He is a loyal reader.


Dan grouted the floor tile today. I suppose Saturday we will get the bathroom vanity and mirror. Getting closer.


Decided this morning we should make Alton Brown's coconut cake, which they have been bugging me to try. After announcing it, realized it needed several versions of coconut. We tried a local grocery but I knew I'd have to go over to Whole Foods, on the other side of the earth. We bought every coconut thing they had and came home and made it up. Funny thing is, my kids always stuck their noses up at coconut, until Alton Brown made it cool. It was very very good.


Made the roast, which turned out glorious. Best one I have every made. Just like a gorgeous prime rib at a steak place. But better. Lobster was perfect. Goooooood meal. And we will be eating beans the next month since we spent so much on that one meal. But what a meal.


The kids are so naive. I announced after dinner the kids all were coming with me to the grocery to get cream cheese for the cinnamon rolls tomorrow. When would I EVER bring all five of them to the grocery store when Dad is home? We got home and Dan handed out the Wii controls. That was our big gift for them. I went back and forth on whether we should get it or not. With all the squabbling and whining during the first 15 minutes, I was thinking it was a bad idea. They have bowling figured out now and they are all happy. Adam did complain there were no gutter guards.

Ok, now I had a chance to beat Dan up in boxing and got 229 in bowling. So, I am a Wii jock. Great.


Other than Lily being born, I did not love 2009. It was hard. I am tired. I look forward to 2010 being a much better year. Honestly, until a couple of days ago, it didn't dawn on me it was the end of a decade. Had three kids since 2000. Changed from a suburbanite to a country hick. Gained more weight than anyone ever should. Became a believer. Four of my kids became believers. Guess those are the major points of the decade.

In the next decade, I will probably have children leaving home. Will turn 50. Oh my. In January 2020, I will be 52 (the age my mother was when she died). Alec will be 24, Ian 21, Adam 18, Evan 16 and Miss Lil will be 10. Can't imagine.

Happy New Year.

No comments: