Monday, November 24, 2008

Surprise

We met the midwife tonight. While explaining to her where we live, she asked if we had just bought the house. Turns out she delivered the seven kids the former family had. She's spent more time in my house than I have so far. She showed us the fig trees she started off the tree off our deck. Her husband was here helping to pack when we did our final walk through. Small world. I really like her. She has done this forever and is laid back. She actually lived at the Christian commune the Farm and trained with Ina Mae Gaskin (Ina Mae is like the John Lennon of midwives--rock star status--she wrote a really funky book called Spiritual Midwifery which is quite a hoot to read).

We picked up a rental car tonight because my transmission went on my van (yes, ouch). We are just thankful that we have the money to cover it and it happened after we got settled in here. No complaints.

I am waiting for cinnamon roll dough to rise and chess pieces to form. I made the cake today from scratch. You know, I have figured out you really don't need to follow recipes ever. My mom was crazy about following recipes exactly. And then someone explained you need to follow recipes for baked things, but not cooking. Ha! I fudged that recipe so much--used this instead of that and less of this and more of that. It turned out great.

No comments: